First owner of farm was a member of first Assembly
A photo of this Mystery Place is HERE
The barn on the John and Tina Erickson farm sports a barn quilt with the Memory Wreath design. You can see this barn at W8787 County Highway X, just south of the village of Darien.
According to the 1857 plat map, the property was owned by C.D. Long. The current owners, John and Tina Erickson, have indicated that the farm was bought by Hugh and Martha Long around 1848. Albert Beckwith’s “History of Walworth County“ indicates that Hugh and his son, Chester, came to the county in 1839.
Hugh Long was an associate supervisor for the town of Darien in 1844 and a member of the State Assembly in 1848, the year Wisconsin became a state. Chester was in the State Assembly in 1861. He served as register of deeds for the county in 1851 and 1852. He was a justice of the peace for the township from 1877 until 1882.
C.D. Long is shown as the owner through the 1891 book. In 1900, it is listed as William Blakely. Then in 1907, the property owner was Huey D. Long. The W.H. Long Estate is listed as the 1936 owner.
William and Kathryn Schmaling were the owners in the 1961 plat book. This continued for years; eventually Kathryn’s grandson took over the running of the farm. In 1980, the owners were John and Susan Erickson. Kathryn Schmaling took over ownership of the farm again and is listed as such in the 1992 plat book. In 2004, John and Tina Erickson became the owners of the property and are the current owners. John Erickson is Schmaling’s grandson. Throughout these years John continued to operate the farm.
The east end of the barn was destroyed by a tornado in the 1950s. This farm has been in the family more than 100 years.