Farmstead has long history in village of Walworth
A photo gallery of this Mystery Place is HERE
The Peterson farm is located on the south side of the village of Walworth on U.S. Highway 14. According to the 2010 plat book, the farm is owned by Peterson Real Estate Partnership. The quilt on this barn is called “Weathervane.”
The 1857 plat map of the county shows the owner of this property as M. Church. C. W. Butterfield indicates in “History of Walworth County” that Mills Church came to the area in 1838 and settled in Section 28. Albert Beckwith’s history indicates that Church arrived in 1837 in Wisconsin and married Mary Daniels on Oct. 24, 1844. He moved to Missouri.
The name Church is well known in this area. Cyrus Church was the second settler in Walworth Township. He was the first to plow any land in the township. He arrived in 1837 with his parents. I was unable to find what relationship there might be with Mills and Cyrus.
The 1873 plat book indicates that the owner of this property was B. Merwin. The 1891 and 1907 books show the owner as G.H. Merwin.
Benjamin Smith Merwin and his family came to Walworth County in 1857 and first settled 1-1/2 miles north of Williams Bay. They farmed there until 1868, when they purchased this land in Section 28. He then moved to Delavan and his son, George Herman, farmed the land. Later Benjamin moved back to Walworth, where he died on May 20, 1896.
George Herman first farmed the property on shares for four years. Then he rented from his father for four more years and then bought the property. He lived here until 1895, when he moved into the village.
He was a deputy sheriff for about 10 years and was a town supervisor. He and his wife, Mary, had four children: Florence, Thomas, Sarah and Ernest.
Ernest married Alice Kaye Reek on Nov. 11, 1916, and they settled on 120 acres in the town of Linn.
The 1930 plat book shows the owner of this property as the Walworth State Bank. Apparently the Depression caught up to the landowners just prior to this time.
By 1966 the Petersons were owners of this property. Lawrence and Linnea Peterson are listed in that year’s book.
In 1982 the owners are shown as Lawrence Peterson etal. That listing continues through 1988. In 1990 the owners are Oscar, Janice, Carl and Mary Peterson. The listing of Peterson Real Estate Partnership begins in the 1992 book.