Janesville68.3°

Fire does $250,000 damage to home

Print Print
Shelly Birkelo
May 29, 2013

— The cause of a residential fire that displaced its homeowners and left $250,000 damage Tuesday morning remains undetermined.

Janesville firefighters and police responded at 12:31 a.m. to 907 N. Osborne Ave., according to a Rock County lead dispatcher. Upon arrival, they found the garage fully engulfed in flames and the fire extending into the house and attic, said Scott Morovits, Janesville Fire Department shift commander.

Residents Karla Krueger and Karen Stone were awakened by a popping noise, got up to investigate and found fire outside in a wood pile next to the service door of the garage, Morovits said. Authorities believe that is where the fire started.

The single-family, ranch-style home with an attached garage is valued at $200,000 according to city records, Morovits said.

The fire caused an estimated $100,000 damage to the house and another $150,000 damage resulted to its contents, Morovits said. Contents included two vehicles, two motorcycles, a riding lawnmower and a motor home parked in the driveway.

Krueger was injured while trying to retrieve items from the house. She was taken to Mercy Hospital and Trauma Center where she was treated and released, Morovits said.

"She didn't get burned and most likely didn't have smoke inhalation, but in her rush to get some items and herself out was apparently injured." he said. "She runs a business from her home so was trying to get her computer out."

Morovits wasn't sure about Krueger's injuries, but he said she was on crutches when she returned home.

No firefighters were hurt and the fire did not spread to any neighboring homes, he said.

The residents, who were the only occupants of the house, will be displaced for a while, but they can eventually stay with nearby relatives, Morovits said.

The American Red Cross was contacted, but was not needed. Alliant Energy also responded to the scene to disconnect power and gas, he said.



Print Print