Spontaneous combustion blamed for silo fire

Share on Facebook Print Print
Gazette Staff
October 28, 2010
— Spontaneous combustion caused a silo fire in Center Township on Tuesday, fire department officials said.

The Footville Fire Department responded at about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday to 4934 Tuttle Road, south of Highway 14 in Center Township.

Smoke was coming out of the top of the 60-foot concrete silo when firefighters arrived, said Dave Butzler, Footville Fire Department deputy chief.

Firefighters were able to get at the fire through a wooden door about 15 feet from the ground.

The silo was about one-third full with haylage, Butzler said.

A damage estimate hasn't been determined.

The farm is owned by Robert and Cheryl Purkapile.

Share on Facebook Print Print