Janesville35.1°

Rural Walworth County house catches fire Tuesday

Comments Comments Print Print
Gazette staff
November 12, 2013

ELKHORN— A malfunctioning clothes dryer caused a house fire north of Elkhorn on Tuesday, a fire official said.

The fire started around 1 p.m. in the basement of the home, N6537 Cedar Road, said Elkhorn Fire Department Chief Rod Smith.

He and his crew were on the scene around 1:15, shortly after receiving a call from a friend of homeowner Pete Nettesheim. No injuries were reported. 

When Smith arrived at the home it was filled with smoke. The back of the building had a hole burnt through the wall, Smith said.

Several Walworth County fire departments responded to the fire at the house, located five miles north of Elkhorn on the corner of Lakeshore Drive next to Silver Lake.

Attic windows of the one-story house had been removed and showed signs of the fire. 

There is significant damage to the inside of the home from smoke, heat and water, Smith said.

In order to live in the home again "extensive remodeling" will need to be completed because of possible structural damage, Smith said.

The last firetruck and crew members left around 4 p.m.



Comments Comments Print Print