°

One of Darien's milk plants still stands

Comments Comments Print Print
Ginny Hall | October 18, 2013

The former milk plant in the village of Darien is located on U.S. Highway 14 just west of the intersection with County Highway X.

The building was erected by Libby, McNeil and Libby in 1918. It was sold to the American Milk Co. a few years later; they sold it to the United Milk Products Co. in 1926. 

Photo gallery of Ginny Hall's Mystery Places HERE. A tornado tore off part of the roof  in 1939. After extensive repairs, it was purchased by the Darien Milk Co. In 1942 it was sold again but operated under the same name. 

In 1947 it was sold to the Dean Milk Co. and they operated it until Sept. 1, 1954, when it was closed because the way milk was handled changed, and milk was being picked up at the farms. 

The building was given to the village and then was used by Chaney Tire Service.

This building was not the first milk plant in the village.  According to a history written by Lura Clowes, the first creamery was next to the present school grounds. It was operated by Westlake and Swift. 

A butter factory was built in 1885, but it burned in 1896.

The next creamery was built on Sharon Road. It was a cooperative stock company with 52 patrons, who raised $5,000 to start this venture. By Nov. 1, 1897, they had 120 patrons and it was managed by local people. They hired a competent butter maker and patrons were paid on a monthly basis.

 



Comments Comments Print Print