Mystery Place: Plat books invaluable for establishing ownership
The barn quilt “Stars and Bars” can be seen on the LaMarche barn at W5255 Lakeville Road in Section 36 in the town of Walworth. The quilt is easiest seen if you get to the intersection of Lakeville and Ridge roads south of the village of Walworth. Proceed east on Lakeville; it will be on the south side of the road.
The 1857 plat map shows B.H. Reed as the owner of the land on which this barn is located. Ownership changed to N.J. Mickle in the 1873 plat book. This may be the family for which Mickle School was named. That school and family were located in the town of Linn.
The plat books of 1891 through 1907 show the owner as John Schultz. The 1930 plat book indicates the owner as Robert Gasch.
The 1919 Prairie Farmer's Reliable Directory of Farmers and Breeders lists Gasch as the owner of 100 acres in Section 36, town of Walworth. He was married to Pauline Rost; their children were Hilma, Walter, Paul and Martha. Their farm was called Hilltop dairy farm.
According to the book, Gasch came to the area in 1919. He raised Chester White hogs and drove a Ford car.
The 1948 plat book shows that Minnie and Hilma Gasch became the owners. This continued through the 1966 plat book. The 1970 through 1975 plat books indicate the owner was C.A. Hintz.
The 1977 plat book shows the owner as Bradley August. From 1982 until 2004 the owners were Bradley and Diane August. In 2006, Frank J. Monek is listed as the owner.
The 2008 through 2016 books shows Henry Sailer Jr. and Sharon M. LaMarche as owners.
Ginny Hall, a Delavan historian, is author of the “Walking around ...” and “Meandering ... ” books, which highlight the history of Walworth County communities.