Mystery Place: Barn quilt decorates the Walter farmstead
The Lyle Walter farm is located at N6396 Bowers Road, northeast of Elkhorn. The name of the barn quilt is “Mariner's Compass.”
Albert Beckwith's 1912 “History of Walworth County” has a short biography of Treasure Kipp Loveland, who is shown as owner of this property in the 1900 plat book. Born in Bloomfield Township on May 29, 1859, Loveland married Mary C. Lennon of Lafayette Township, on July 30, 1881. They had three children: Eddie Kipp, Adelbert and Harley Floyd.
The 1919 Prairie Farmer's Reliable Directory of Farmers and Breeders lists Delbert Loveland as owning 110 acres in Section 13 in the town of Lafayette. He was married to Ethel L. Whitmore. On their Maple Ridge farm they raised Holstein cattle and Duroc Jersey hogs.
The latest barn quilt map for the county shows the owners as the Walter Farm.
Ginny Hall, a Delavan historian, is author of the “Walking around ...” and “Meandering ... ” books, which highlight the history of Walworth County communities.