Mystery Place: Home built for Elkhorn's longtime depot agent
You can see the former Livingston home, a Gothic-style brick home, at 311 S. Washington St. in Elkhorn.
This home was built in 1870 for John W. Hayes. He was the depot agent for 54 years for the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad. He served the station at Elkhorn beginning in 1865. He also served as an associate supervisor in 1881.
According to the Elkhorn bicentennial booklet, he married Elizabeth. But the 1882 “History of Walworth County” indicates that he married Sarah E. Fleming. They had three children: Harry, Charles and Carrie.
Carrie was born in this home with George Young as the attending doctor. Except for four years, she spent her entire life in this house … 92 years!
After graduating from Elkhorn School, she taught for five years at Jackson School and Fairfield School. She married Justin Livingston on Nov. 3, 1914.
A later owner was John Pappas. He remodeled the house into apartments. Later on and for many years it was the home of Gene and Jean Hoffman. He had a construction business in Elkhorn.